Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Snorks vs. Gelflings

The strangest things spawn from beer.
Wait -- let me clarify -- the strangest conversations come to life with a few beers.

It all started with a debate on why girls can't burp because their heads are smaller than men's -- who tend to have room for more air. It's all resonance apparently.

This led to the the air flap in the head of the duck-billed dinosaur. You can actually go to the Field Museum (in Chicago) and press a bellow of air through this skull of a duck-billed dinosaur and make this "kkcqhuaaaauuwh" sound that resembles the noise you would make if an elephant sat on you while you had a mouth full of marshmallows -- or a viking war-horn -- I'm not sure which.

Then my friend Jason says that duck-billed dinosaurs remind him of Snorks. This triggered some deep-seeded memory from my childhood that had been repressed into the useless information compartment of my brain. What are Snorks? -- I YouTubed.



Why do we ever forget these characters that filled our after-school hours with such brainless joy. Like Balthasar, the flying dog/lion with no appendages from The Never Ending Story - or T-Bone and Razor from SWAT Kats.



(Don't tell anyone but I was infatuated with Tommy, the green power ranger who died and later came back as the white ranger.)

I honestly think I've watched every episode and mini-movie created of the cartoon series Gargoyles. I vividly remember the vivacious and forward Angela, secretly falling in love with the proud and strong Goliath (who's voice-actor also played Commander Riker in Star Trek: Next Generation -- oh yes, now you know), battling evil and dreading the sunrise of each day.



I suppose it's not the end of the world that one of my "closet nerd" tendencies has emerged into the living world. It happens. You can't be cool forever. Don't even get me started on David Bowie and Jennifer Connely in Labyrinth. Now please excuse me while I go and have a very serious comparative conversation about Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, and Legend with 16-year-old Tom Cruise and Tim Curry as the devil.



No comments: